Monday, February 8, 2010

Sunday, December 13 (cont.)

When I left off, it had gotten dark and we were waiting for the castle lighting to happen. I videotaped the whole thing and have posted it below. It’s roughly 6 ½ minutes. I apologize in advance for the shakiness during the parts when I zoomed in or out. Otherwise, it’s not too bad!



When the show was done, I grabbed a few still shots of the castle. So gorgeous!

189

190

191

192
While we were waiting for the show to begin, we had decided that right afterwards we would high-tail it over to Casey’s for some dinner before the first parade started. We had never eaten there before and were really excited to try it! Apparently a lot of people had the same idea, because it was pretty crowded in there. Tom got in line and I hung back, ready to help him carry stuff if needed. We already had drinks from earlier, and didn’t want dessert since there would be cookies later, so we just got hot dogs and French fries. It cost $13.18 and we paid out-of-pocket.

194

195

196
There was nowhere inside to sit and all the tables outside were filled, so we ended up eating standing up against a trash can. At least it didn’t smell! We both loved our meals and would definitely go back!

Once we were done eating, we started looking for a spot to view the parade. I really wanted to be near the hub so that we could see Wishes afterwards without a lot of moving around. We lucked out and found a perfect spot! We were sitting on the curb right before the curb ends and the walkway to Tomorrowland begins. I probably didn’t explain that very well, but they were excellent seats!

I wanted to go check out the cookies and hot chocolate, so Tom spread his backpack out next to him and I went exploring. I ended up at the Noodle Station, and was VERY pleasantly surprised to find that in addition to the cookies and hot chocolate, they also had apple slices and apple juice.

001
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good cookie, but after eating vacation food for a few days the idea of some crunchy apples really appealed to me. I took 2 packs of apples, 2 cookies, and 2 hot chocolates and headed back to Tom. He really liked the cookies, but I thought they were too crumbly. The hot chocolate was very hot and yummy! But the apples were my favorite. In fact, I ended up going back for more and saved a pack for the next day’s breakfast.

When I got back, Tom introduced me to the family next to us, who he had been chatting with. The mom/wife is a DISer, and I’ve tried to find her online, but haven’t been able to. She said her screen name was kitty kat and I’ve tried several different spellings, but no luck. So if you’re out there, chime in!

At about 7pm, Tom headed over the Emporium while I saved the seats. He wanted to be there when the party merchandise came out at 7:15pm. When he got there, it was already out! He said it reminded him of Black Friday with everyone grabbing and fighting over items! He ended up getting an ornament, three different pins, the MVMCP throw, and two t-shirts. He did a great job!

Front of ornament:
130

Back of ornament:
131

Pin:
114

Pin:
116

Pin:
122

Throw:
139

T-shirt:
140
While he was gone, I took a few pictures of the crowd but mostly just people watched and people listened. I’m serious about that being one of my favorite things to do! CMs were coming around checking for wristbands and I saw a few people get upset that they were being ushered toward Main Street and the exit.

199

At one point, a bunch of CMs formed a line shoulder-to-shoulder and wouldn’t let anyone past the Partners statue without a wristband. I also overheard some really interesting and funny conversations between people who thought they knew a lot about Disney but obviously didn’t know as much as DISers do!

The parade was scheduled to begin at 8:15pm and right around 8:10pm this lady comes out of nowhere and asks me if she can squeeze in next to me. Now let me just tell you that me and the guy next to me were pretty much touching hips, that’s how close we were. I explained to her that there was no room and she was extremely insistent that she could squeeze in. I hate confrontation and will usually go out of my way to avoid it, but I gathered all my courage and told her that we had been sitting there for over 1 ½ hours and she could not “squeeze” in. She was not happy, but moved on. I wonder if she was able to push anyone else out of her way? If she had had a small child with her, you know I would have found some way to work it out so the child could see, but come one…five minutes before the parade and you want to walk right up and get a prime viewing spot?

By now it’s past time for the parade to begin and we’re all getting antsy, wondering what’s going on. Around 8:20pm an announcement came out over the speakers saying that the parade would be delayed due to technical difficulties. My heart started to sink, thinking the parade would be cancelled and we had wasted all this time waiting for it.

Next up…does the parade go on?

No comments: